Easy-Action Tips For Preventing Toddler Accidental Poisoning At Home

Around the home, there are any number of items that toddlers want to put into their mouths that they should not. Some of those items are more harmful than others. As a result, parents need to take care to lock things up, get them out of reach, or dispose of anything that could accidentally poison toddlers. Something that can be done without much effort with some easy-action tips for preventing toddlers from accidentally getting poisoned at home.



It is no wonder that toddlers are drawn to household items that could cause them harm. With bright packages, objects that look like candy, or fluids that are colors of juice, they believe that what they are putting in their mouths will be tasty. Unfortunately, this is not the case when it comes to medicines, cleaning supplies, poisons, and the like. And if intervention is not given right away, dire consequences of the ingestion could result.

RELATED: 3 Household Poisons Parents Should Be Aware Of, Says Expert

Here are some easy-action tips for preventing toddlers from accidentally getting poisoned at home.

BABYGAGA VIDEO OF THE DAY

10 Keep Medicines Stored Away

With colors that look like candy and packages that can easily be opened by persistent toddlers, all medications should be stored away from toddlers’ reach.

According to ConsumerMedSafety.org, even bottles with child-proof caps are not foolproof. This is because many young children are capable of opening the bottle tops and gaining access to the medication with ease.

Therefore, after any medication is taken, it should immediately be put away to keep curious toddlers from accessing it.

9 Store Cleaning Supplies Out Of Reach

Cleaning supplies can come in bottles and cans with attractive colors. Worse still, if the bottles are opened, when chemicals contain a fragrance, it can tempt toddlers to drink it and be poisoned as a result.

As such, if cleaning supplies are anywhere a toddler could accidentally gain access to them, be it under the kitchen or bathroom sinks, the laundry room, or even the garage, they should be stored at higher levels where toddlers can’t reach.

8 Keep Alcohol Out Of Toddler’s Vicinity

Alcohol can come in a variety of colors. And because toddlers may see their parents consume some from time to time, they may want to do the same. Something that could cause serious illness or worse.

According to Poison Control, if toddlers consume alcohol, they are at risk for seizures, coma, or even death. As such, bottles, glasses that have alcohol in them, or open containers should either be put away or in a spot that little ones will not be able to touch.

7 Ensure Lead Paint Is Not In The House

A poison that not many parents think about is lead paint being in the house. But because toddlers put everything in their mouths, if there is any concern about lead paint on walls or furniture, it should be dealt with immediately.

According to the EPAplaces where lead paint can be found include:

  • Windows

  • Window sills

  • Doors

  • Door frames

  • Stairs

  • Banisters

  • Railings

For those who have older houses or have purchased children’s furniture second-hand, making sure the paint that covers it is safe is key to keeping toddlers from getting poisoned by lead paint.


6 Make Sure Fingernail Polish Remover Is Inaccessible

Fingernail polish can come in colors that would make toddlers want to pick it up to investigate it further. And while parents would think the foul odor would make little ones put it down as soon as they opened the bottle, because some removers do have a pleasant smell, this is not always the case.

As such, as soon as the paint is removed from fingers or toes, the polish remover should immediately be put away in a place that toddlers are unable to access.

5 Only Plant Vegetation That Is Not Poisonous If Accidently Eaten

The indoors is not the only place where toddlers may put things in their mouths. The outdoors can be a place of wonder, making toddlers want to orally explore outside as well.

Parents will want to check up on any plants they may add to their garden so that they are aware of any side effects if ingested by a curious toddler. And, if the plants are toxic, parents may want to think twice about planting them until toddlers are older and understand not to put things in their mouths.


4 Keep Batteries Locked Up

Batteries can cause problems if toddlers happen to eat them because the body will begin to break them down and internally burn little ones. As such, batteries of all shapes and sizes need to be stored out of reach and disposed of immediately after use so that toddlers are not tempted to put them in their mouths.

3 Throw Away Expired Medication

Old medication can be just as tempting for toddlers to put in their mouths as the non-expired varieties. And because there is no telling what kinds of reactions toddlers may have even when the medication is expired, anything that is no longer being used should be disposed of to keep it from getting into the hands of those who may be accidentally poisoned from them.

2 Store Washing Machine Pods Out Of Reach

The pods for washing machines can look like candy for toddlers. And because the pods are easy to break open, it takes just a moment to grab one and put it in their mouths. Something that could leave the ill as a result.

According to WebMD, the laundry pods are more toxic than traditional laundry detergent but why is not understood. As a result, the pods can lead to respiratory and nervous system distress, internal burns, inflammation of the lungs, or even death, per the publication.

Therefore, keeping washing machine pods out of reach is imperative to keeping curious toddlers safe when they want to put everything in their mouths.

1 Keep Poisons In A Place That Toddlers Cannot Access

Most poison is not stored in the house. As such, parents may make sure that things like weed or bug poison are out of reach in the garage. But they may forget about things like ant baits, rat poison, or even mothballs when trying to toddler-proof their homes.

If it is poison, it should be kept in one spot, outside the home that is either locked up or completely inaccessible to toddlers. This is the only way to ensure that poisons used to rid the environment of unwanted things do not wind up in the hands of toddlers.

Source: ConsumerMedSafety.org, Poison Control, EPA, WebMD

Leave a Comment